What is Beyond the Wild?
Overview of the charity
- Beyond the Wild is a Catholic charity based in the UK.
- Beyond the Wild addresses and seeks to reverse the current trend of young people losing their Catholic faith throughout their teenage years by fusing together wilderness and spiritual survival.
- Since 2012 we’ve been offering unique wild camping retreats and events teaching people how to survive in the wild and how the fire of their faith can survive and thrive in our world.
- Hundreds of young people have already experienced Beyond the Wild’s wilderness retreats with our talks, retreat days, and workshops in schools, parishes, and dioceses reaching thousands more.
- Beyond the Wild offers mixed retreats and events as well as courses tailored for boys, girls, young adults, men and women.
- Beyond the Wild has had a global outreach through our online resources including a “Beyond the Wild” episode of “Real Life Catholic” filmed in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado which aired to millions of viewers on EWTN and Amazon Prime.
- Beyond the Wild has been endorsed by leading national and international Catholic figures.
- Beyond the Wild is led by Will Hince who brings together 10 years professional Catholic youth ministry experience with his background as a soldier, skilled bushcraft instructor, and wilderness expedition leader.
It’s about becoming fully alive and fully who they were created to be as children of God.
To do this, Beyond the Wild takes people away from the world and into the wild, leaving behind a world of noise and technology to experience wild camping in private woodland without access to mobile phones, electricity, gas, or running water.
Participants learn how to cook their food over an open fire, how to find and purify water, how to build shelter, and how to make fire by friction. They experience a dependency on the woodland around them which draws them into a oneness with nature and there in the beauty of creation we draw them into an encounter with the beauty of the Creator through opportunities for prayer, daily Mass, youth-led Eucharistic Adoration, catechesis, Sacred Scriptures, and Confession.
In a dynamic, positive, and understandable way we draw parallels between wilderness survival and spiritual survival to teach participants how their faith can survive and thrive beyond the wild.
To find out more about Beyond the Wild and our work drop us a message.